Sunday, June 7, 2009
1 lb of puff pastry [thawed]
flour to dust
4 ounces of strong cheese
1. 1.Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees
2. place a piece of parchment paper on a large baking sheet
3. lightly flour a clean work surface or board and roll out the pastry into a large rectangle.
4. crack the egg and beat in a high sided jug to avoid splashes
5. brush the pasty with the beaten egg
6. grate the cheese and then sprinkle over on half of the pastry.
7. fold the pasty in half and pat down lightly
8. cut the pastry into strips
9. lift each strip and place on the baking sheet.
10. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until golden brown.
Add coarsely ground pepper at number 6
Add chilli flakes at 6
Twist the strips before you put them on the baking sheet which is very fiddly as the filling may fall out
Pizza cutters are just as dangerous and scary as knives
Whilst hygiene is very important avoid reference to Salmonella and raw eggs.
When we return from the UK we hope to practice making desserts on the Barbeque which apparently is entirely possible. He picked up this "slice" from the "radio." Since the black Weber barbeque is in the category of Satan's weapons this should prove quite a challenge for all of us. You may wish to enter your own "contribution," to NPR. Over here, it will be our long term summer goal.